Island Defense
March 25, 2019, 02:26:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: not so new version:  3.0.6G4, 3.0.8d

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Wall.up VS Darox Thread  (Read 37995 times)
TimmyTheTrout
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »

Too many topics on this subject, lets keep it all here.
Other topics will be locked or spliced with this one, have fun kids.
- Lucretia

Also absolutely no cheating off the polls, it is just meant as a reference. If you are found making multiple accounts (and it is very easy to catch this), then your votes are going to be reset along with ALL of your accounts removed.
~Shadow14l

Your accounts will be reset beware!!!
= Revengez

I just wanted to fit in. Oh, and correct the title.
+ Darox

I am posting this message on both sites with the intention of helping the Island Defense Community resolve a divisive and potentially very damaging situation.  Recently the Island Defense community has reminded me of a bad political scene.  While I don't know all the politics, I am afraid that the end goal is being obscured.

The powers that be are losing sight that the goal is to create the best, most balanced map available for the general public to enjoy.  I do not see how a collaborative effort could fail to produce the best results.  Any experience island defense player could entertain the idea of imbalances with either version of the map. If these differences could be resolved maturely it would be in the best interest of the general public. 

I'm very disappointed in the bitterness directed at the editors by many individuals in the community.  We should never forget that the editors generously donate their time to provide us with entertainment.  Do not "bite the hand that feeds".  However, I am even more disappointed in some of the comments made by the editors themselves.  In the last hour I have located posts by both Pandamine and Darox in which they flame eachother to varying extents.  I know there are tensions between both parties, but as adults and leaders in our small online community it is your duty to avoid the type of behavior that poisons and divides us.

The existence of two websites and different map versions is not healthy for the community or the continued popularity of the game.  The end result is the idea of "picking sides".  As have many of you, I have been approached myself regarding my allegiances.  The concept of editor preference is contaminating the community and I am afraid we are only seeing the beginning.  The situation is eerily reminiscent to the division of sovereignty amongst a nation or the downfall of the once popular map Vampirism.

The conclusion of my argument is twofold.  I ask the players to not "pick sides" or incite flame wars in order to alleviate the emerging schism.  I ask the editors to put aside their personal issues and pursue a peaceful and collaborative conclusion seeking the best interest of the community.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:53:13 AM by Darox » Logged
LiquidEcho
Worker

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »

What's it matter?  In a few weeks Pandamine/Wall.Up will be forgotten, and his versions will have no more status than any other hacked/unofficial version.  I think the little flame wars mean much less than the fact that Darox is quite obviously a much more capable editor.
Eji1700
Spearloc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:43:52 AM »

I am posting this message on both sites with the intention of helping the Island Defense Community resolve a divisive and potentially very damaging situation.  Recently the Island Defense community has reminded me of a bad political scene.  While I don't know all the politics, I am afraid that the end goal is being obscured.

The powers that be are losing sight that the goal is to create the best, most balanced map available for the general public to enjoy.  I do not see how a collaborative effort could fail to produce the best results.  Any experience island defense player could entertain the idea of imbalances with either version of the map. If these differences could be resolved maturely it would be in the best interest of the general public. 

I'm very disappointed in the bitterness directed at the editors by many individuals in the community.  We should never forget that the editors generously donate their time to provide us with entertainment.  Do not "bite the hand that feeds".  However, I am even more disappointed in some of the comments made by the editors themselves.  In the last hour I have located posts by both Pandamine and Darox in which they flame eachother to varying extents.  I know there are tensions between both parties, but as adults and leaders in our small online community it is your duty to avoid the type of behavior that poisons and divides us.

The existence of two websites and different map versions is not healthy for the community or the continued popularity of the game.  The end result is the idea of "picking sides".  As have many of you, I have been approached myself regarding my allegiances.  The concept of editor preference is contaminating the community and I am afraid we are only seeing the beginning.  The situation is eerily reminiscent to the division of sovereignty amongst a nation or the downfall of the once popular map Vampirism.

The conclusion of my argument is twofold.  I ask the players to not "pick sides" or incite flame wars in order to alleviate the emerging schism.  I ask the editors to put aside their personal issues and pursue a peaceful and collaborative conclusion seeking the best interest of the community.
Pandamine and Darox don't get along.  I don't really know why.  Personally don't care.  My goal is to play the more fun map.  That will be determined by whichever makes the more fun and well coded map.  I'm not really picking sides.  I may dislike one editor more or like another editor better as a person, but that really doesn't effect the quality of the map.

Now then flaming: I basically won't.  I snapped once at panda and other than that I don't really flame.  This community however, does.  Doesn't matter who it is.  It's a part of Bnet.  Its part of online gaming.  It just is.  Some players take it to far, some choose to when i may personally might not, but it isn't that bad, and some just outright should probably shut the fuck up.  But it doesn't matter.  As for bitterness toward the editors I generally agree.  Again minus the one incident I can generally recognize that they are doing something for basically nothing.  However quite frankly if you want to develop ANYTHING for an online community your going to have ungrateful angry bastards, or even grateful angry bastards.  It's just part of the community.  Much like how while I may personally think that the pithy little strikes and topics are pretty stupid, it's just something that for some reason strikes a chord with something like 50% of the online demographic so I think you'd better get used to them.

Finally as for the existence of two maps not being health, it depends.  It depends on a lot really.  A lot more i'm willing to go into.  I'm going to cut to the chase though and say that from what I can see Darox and Pandamine/Wall.up are not going to be together anytime soon.  I don't know if thats because one or the other is being a bastard or just too many major differences or what, but it's probably not happening.  If the map is good people will play it.

Bonus Finally: Seeing as how i'm a PSC major who sits in classes for 7 and a half hours a day listening to shit about countries, policies, politicians, and a whole lot of other BS, i think a small part of my brain will explode if i don't point out that while a good attempt the situation between the two ID maps really doesn't relate to a divided country much.

In short: i agree mostly, it'd be nice, it probably won't happen.
JayceJa
Spearloc

An abrasive personality

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »

two words:

natural selection

competition in nature is the best way to achieve the best results

ThaFutureee
Worker

iRap.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »

Ehh,
Im a confused young man.
Soo, after darox saw pandamine, implete pandamine.
Darox thought he had to come back and edit the map?
or what's the story?

On another note:
This whole
Island-defense.com
and island-defense.org.
side choosing, to diff vers out at same time thing, is going to send "our community" down the drain.
theres gonna be constent flaming, picking sides, compeiting, and sooner or later
this is all gunna be uncivilized community if you will.

Either panda and darox work together to make the best possible map for Island Defense or...
we as the community need to decided on the editor.

Yeah....
i can be deep.
jkin Grin

"Life's a bitch but god forbid the bitch divorce me" - Nas
----------------------------------------------
ThaFutureee @ UsWest / Us East.
The Official Black Island Defender.
iSpit The Futureee
ThaFutureee
Worker

iRap.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:08:19 AM »

Yoo.
Soo this 2 sided shit is going on.
And i just want to know your opinion.

Personally, I dont mind either ones, but...
if this 2 sided shit continues, ID will phail.
Agreed?

Discuss.

"Life's a bitch but god forbid the bitch divorce me" - Nas
ThaFutureee @ UsWest / Us East.
The Official Black Island Defender.
iSpit The Futureee
fliinghier
Worker

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:22:30 AM »

atm i'm on the side of whoever makes the best map...

that being said i'm currently on darox's side even though i liked the old sat Sad
Para
Murloc

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:56 AM »

CAPITALISM!  but seriously I am enjoying some of the changes darox made.  The new builder is wonderful and I love the concept behind it.

Northwind
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:25:23 AM »

Darox...all da way lol!
Panda ruined last versions with his...interesting? skills. And then by making a personalised builder after himself...wow
fliinghier
Worker

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 03:32:08 AM »

so i really found the thread on .com interesting, and since there's pretty much 2 communities i think it'd be cool to get both sides of the story.

so, post here with your likes and dislikes of the versions.

personally I liked a lot of the new smaller lumber bases that panda added as well as places to spread workers.  I also liked everything that was fully added into .6 such as new modes etc.
I didn't like how shitty the new builders were, with panda being bugged so much as to not even die when titan killed him most of the time -_-
for darox's i really like what he did to sat, making it not so good that many ruins the game in favor of the builders.
haven't really found any dislikes but perhaps i'll edit tomorrow after playing a few more games.

eLK.
Signature Range
Titanious Minion

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »

Really boils down to who puts a critter of me into the game.
BodyHammer
Serious Buisness
Titan Hunter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:09 AM »

Really boils down to who puts a critter of me into the game.

Oh, well fuck, I guess that screws my ability to choose. :/

Also: Staying out of all "Whose Cock Will You Suckle at Most" threads.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:49:29 AM by BodyHammer » Logged

The minute that it's born, it begins to die.
BodyHammer
Serious Buisness
Titan Hunter

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »

You realize there is a 3rd option, right?  Hell, more options than that really.  Not everything is black and white.

JayceJa
Spearloc

An abrasive personality

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:50:40 AM »

best option, they need to work together

ON A TIME MACHINE

go back in time, and stop aerox from being poached by tbr2, or stop wow from poaching rcxquake, then this never would have happened

Illumanus
Titanious Minion

Kind king, amiright?

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »

Wall.Up wil drift away into the nothingness of not-that-great editing. Darox stood up and is now fixing this and that. Wall.Up seems to put more and more bugs into the game, so I find it simple that he will lose will power to edit.

Quick! You only have 4 minutes to save the world! Karma + me to do it! If you already +'d me, then thank you for saving the world!

But she made me cry v.v
rage_no
Spearloc

Crab, Infernal, and Pitlord. There I named 3

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »

^ ^
isnt Darox going to stop editing once Starcraft 2 comes out so then we'll have to go back to Pandemine's version

*scream* what's that on your neck!?!?!??!!?!??!
oh wait, its your face...

You know what to do. Don't be lazy. Comon. DO IT NOW!
ItsXamot
Worker

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

i only support darox.. not some other self righteous editor for the other version

"sup guyz, i think i deserve my own builder after editing for a few months"
ItsXamot
Worker

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »

^ ^
isnt Darox going to stop editing once Starcraft 2 comes out so then we'll have to go back to Pandemine's version

if you wont play starcraft 2 when it comes out that is your loss.
Ninja_Sheep
Speedy Turtle

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »

you two could at least have shared one website. I mean it's pointless to have two forums. Why make two forums? You really hate each other that much oO?
BodyHammer
Serious Buisness
Titan Hunter

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

Really, two websites make more sense.  When everyone is discussing builders and the statistics thereof, there are two very different sets of statistics for those builders.

The Darox troll for example is entirely different from the Pandamine troll.  It would just cause a lot of confusion.  Or a very ridiculous amount of Forums and Sub Forums.

Syaorann
Spearloc

Mikazuki is fat

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »

i only support darox.. not some other self righteous editor for the other version

"sup guyz, i think i deserve my own builder after editing for a few months"

Did you only join this so that you can see your builder get implemented..? -_-

Ninja_Sheep
Speedy Turtle

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »

Really, two websites make more sense.  When everyone is discussing builders and the statistics thereof, there are two very different sets of statistics for those builders.

The Darox troll for example is entirely different from the Pandamine troll.  It would just cause a lot of confusion.  Or a very ridiculous amount of Forums and Sub Forums.
Well, I prefer to have tons of subforums.
I mean, in the end it's the same. The subforums just aren't on one site, but they are split up on two sites.
And that's not enough, it ends in even more sub forums that aren't necessary. Offotpic, grafic zone, other custom games etc would go way better on one forum.
Emo
Spearloc

The one and only.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 01:34:29 PM »

I take Daroxs side.

||||||||||||
DoorKnob22
Spearloc

Pandas are awesome, especially WC3 ones.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »

I agree with you. But they don't get along..... We can't force them to work together, now can we?

The Lavaspawn Builder.

http://www.islanddefense.org/forum/index.php/topic,922.new.html#new

Feed me or I'll die!

I like cake,pie and jello.Pandas are awesome especially the Warcraft ones!

Chuck Norris>Everyone Else.
Mayhem.
Speedy Turtle

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:23 PM »

Nah pandamine doesnt listen to the community. I support darox. in fact, IDAK is hosting 2.8.6 now

gogo

go to clan idak for good inhouses.
peid as well.

idg sux dix!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: