Island Defense
January 21, 2019, 07:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: not so new version:  3.0.6G4, 3.0.8d

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiboards  (Read 5616 times)
Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »

So currently I've been looking into multiboard abstraction (ie. having more than one multiboard that you can switch between) but I've encountered a problem (let's call it an inconvenience).

As you may or may not know, Multiboards have states that are unique to each user. They can either be visible (no board), minimized (just the title) or open (title and content). However here's the problem. Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make the "IsMultiboardMinimized()" function the only way to detect whether the board is open or not. Using this incorrectly causes de-syncs, which no one wants.

There are several ways around this (such as making a -hide command or just forcing it to maximize on redraw) but I thought I'd see what the communities opinion was first.
relaets
Spearloc

Ry1d has linsanity

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »

Can you just display a String within the multiboard and change the String when players hit the next button so the multiboard never changes into a different multiboard?
Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »

Can you just display a String within the multiboard and change the String when players hit the next button so the multiboard never changes into a different multiboard?
Multiboards are not strings.
relaets
Spearloc

Ry1d has linsanity

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »

I feel like you could just replace the contents of the multiboard when people want to switch.

http://war3.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40952
Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

Of course.

However, as I mentioned in my initial post, you cannot detect whether the multiboard is minimized or maximized. This means you can't tell whether it should be shown or hidden after you've changed the data.

Resulting in the board being "forced" open, meaning the minimize button is fairly useless.

Please actually read the first post instead of talking crap you don't understand.
relaets
Spearloc

Ry1d has linsanity

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

However, as I mentioned in my initial post, you cannot detect whether the multiboard is minimized or maximized. This means you can't tell whether it should be shown or hidden after you've changed the data.
I don't see why it matters if the board is hidden or shown.
Just change the data; what harm is it going to do?

I do mean use 1 multiboard per person with a design that allows you to do the different multiboards by changing the inside. I know its possible to change the text inside of a multiboard and in Island Defense the images of the multiboard change so I know thats do-able.

Please actually read the first post instead of talking crap you don't understand.
Also, looking up stuff about IsMultiboardMinimized() seems to mess up when using GetLocalPlayer.
Is it impossible to avoid what causes the desyncs? The logic i see in the threads is that leaderboards can have different states for each person so any function that games local data could be different.

But whatever, you can ask the rest of the community since you don't like my opinion or seem to understand it.
Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:35:48 PM »

Yes, but removing rows and columns in multiboards is a bitch (aka undo-able because Blizzard only half implemented it).
And the one function that is supposed to clear multiboards also deletes them, making that approach useless (again, a relic of Blizzards half-completion of their engine).

The idea of "multiple multiboards" isn't simply changing the text, you have to change the layout. Thats the part that is currently impossible without creating a workaround.

IsMultiboardMinimized returns a boolean value that you have to parse in order to continue. This means that each player has a variable with a different value than each other. THAT is what causes desyncs, variables which are different than the hosts.
Changing values on multiboards however, is completely local. You don't try to see whats in the multiboard, you just set and forget.

Sorry about being mean to you, I'm just getting increasingly frustrated at the numerous problems I find in Warcraft 3 and how easily Blizzard has forgotten about them.
theorchero
PS: FUCK YOU
Not a mod
Titan of the Abyss

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »

you cant change the multiboard information for individuals by adding and removing rows, each multiboard is presented as itself and to each user, changing it to create a different result for one person would make it do the same for the rest.

And necos right you cant just hide/show all of the different multiboards because the one function would fuck shit up.

So as of now the -hide and -show commands are only options.

unless we have a mode decision decided by the host on which multiboard to use.

Burn
Titan Hunter

asdf

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »

unless we have a mode decision decided by the host on which multiboard to use.
Don't like having too many game commands where red can basically just fuck shit up, typing -show and -hide doesn't seem too hard, they can even be shortened.

-Burn

(>' ')>      Gd W|| W|kg        <(' '<)
Clan BTI Represent: http://tinyurl.com/clanBTI

Lol'd.
Get burnt.
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »

me likey commands

SpiritBreaker
Worker

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »

If I understood this correctly, then you are asking us whether the multiboard should be closed or opened when switched?

If that is the question, then in my opinion it should be open when it is switched, since a person would normally switch when he wants to see something, therefore he would need it to be open.
sburnett21
Spearloc

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:07 AM »

Currently there are 15 votes. Anyone care to explain how the hell that adds up to 8 in two topics, and 0 in the third?

http://www.islanddefense.org/forum/index.php/topic,2075.0.html

Quote from: theorchero
We need summoning powder first.

We make it from the blood of a chocobo, bone powder of a Bremetar, the fine ass hairs of a P0ny, and congealed heart of an Accer.

Plus a couple oranges, a slice of bread, and a single peanut.
Quote from: Neco
Copying a certain arrangement of bytes in a manner dictated by other users isn't stealing.
Burn
Titan Hunter

asdf

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »

Currently there are 15 votes. Anyone care to explain how the hell that adds up to 8 in two topics, and 0 in the third?
What he is trying to say is that the votes do not sum up.

8+8+0=15

Your whole life is a lie.

-Burn

Lol'd.
Get burnt.
ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 04:36:55 AM »

Isn't there a 'no vote' option? Dunno because i already voted.

Burn
Titan Hunter

asdf

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:05 AM »

Yes, because that would mean 8+8+0+(voters that pressed the "no vote" button)=15

Your whole life is therefore not a lie.

-Burn

Lol'd.
Get burnt.
sburnett21
Spearloc

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »

Yes, because that would mean 8+8+0+(voters that pressed the "no vote" button)=15

Your whole life is therefore not a lie.

-Burn
And now its at 17. So, 9+9+0(voters that pressed the "no vote" button)=17

http://www.islanddefense.org/forum/index.php/topic,2075.0.html

Quote from: theorchero
We need summoning powder first.

We make it from the blood of a chocobo, bone powder of a Bremetar, the fine ass hairs of a P0ny, and congealed heart of an Accer.

Plus a couple oranges, a slice of bread, and a single peanut.
Quote from: Neco
Copying a certain arrangement of bytes in a manner dictated by other users isn't stealing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: