Island Defense
March 21, 2019, 06:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: not so new version:  3.0.6G4, 3.0.8d

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SID Development Thread  (Read 5151 times)
sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« on: July 19, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »

Basically, you may have seen my thread mentioning I want to edit again.  Here is my actual plans for the new version.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with Island Defense before was the incentive to not do anything, and that a player can get by doing nothing.  You can build a lumber base, go afk, and rebuild the lumber base if you have to.  After that, all you have to do is build your base and you can probably win.  This works in just about all games, unless Titan is fed to a really high level.

Let's take a minute to look at a game like DotA.  Ever gone AFK for half an hour, and come back to win a game of DotA against other people at your skill level? Probably not.  I'm going to implement shit to make Island Defense more fast paced, more fun, more exciting, and most of all, more involved.

Rune System
The first and most important change will be the Rune System.  Any builder from the Easy Tavern will be able to get a bottle from their research center.  They cost 2000 lumber, so it will set you back a bit for your lumber base, and you need to get the lumber in the first place so you can't rush it.  Then it's just a matter of wandering the map.  The only units that can carry bottles are the main builder units.  Runes spawn around the map.  The titan can destroy a rune by attacking it for a little EXP and a bit of gold.  Builders can use the bottle item to bottle the rune.

Bottled runes are one use items.  None of them are just for ha-has, they all have valid uses.  They encourage you to wander the map searching, instead of turtling in your base.

Runes spawn randomly around the map, two per every two minutes.  A rune lasts for 45 seconds.  After 40 seconds, it will begin to flash in another color, before disappearing and the two minute timer begins again.

No specific details on what runes do are available yet.

Ogre
Ogre builder will be redone, he needs it.  He will get separate units for his catapults, and separate units for his towers.  I'm also going to want him to have something so he doesn't become Draenie with ogre models.

I'm toying around with different ideas.  I'd like him to have a pet dog unit so that he can sniff out the Titan, and use fog in an interesting way so that you can catch the scent of a Titanic Hero, and then try to follow it.  The dog needs the ogre near him to command him, or else he goes wild and becomes a critter.  You can get him back in control by finding him.  Dogs feed EXP and 5 gold.

The other cool thing about Ogre could be his workers.  I like the idea of his workers somehow contributing to his final army, kind of like the Call To Arms in melee for the human peasants.  The workers would become very low feeding units, but would still overwhelm a minion.

Anti-maphack
The map will definitely have an anti-maphack script, that I will spend most of my time developing it to be specific to Island Defense.  Neco, of course, will be free to use it too.  It will prevent users from giving themselves gold and revealing the entire map.

Nightly Builds
There will be nightly builds.  A nightly build will be released during the school year every Sunday night at the least, more often if I want.  The nightly builds will have general interesting concepts, ideas I am toying with, and maybe even bug fixes.  Example Nightly Builds:
  • A new playstyle for a builder, for example I might try making radioactive towers act like ogre catapults and be movable, or I may try making faerie workers be able to det and do 10 damage, just things that would probably never make it to an official version but are still noteworthy.
  • Cool new item concepts.  For example, a piano for the builders, or an item for the titan to let him jump ten feet forward, or maybe I could make a Titan item that makes his attacks stun.  These are more things that would never make it into a version but are still interesting.
  • Integral parts of the game changing.  Make builders 2x2 and give them a blink with no cooldown and 1.5 second casting.  Make orc style builders really slow so they have to wall walk if they want to get anywhere, and give them a unit that builds slowly to make it easier to hit Esc in time for the noobs.  Make gold harvest twice as fast.
Pretty much, nightly builds force me to think outside of the paradigm.  I have to think of things I never would... this in itself can make my versions better.  Island Defense creates a paradigm.  People are taught to think in a certain way.  We don't think of new things, we try to base new content on older content.  Nightly builds help me break out of this horrible cycle while still giving cool stuff out thumbs up

Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »

Seems we both have the same wish in mind to get lazy builders off their asses and doing something.
Its good that you have the balls to do it though Smiley.

thumbs up I approve these ideas!
sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »

Thanks, Neco.

Pretty much, your ID should remain the typical cliche ID, the main version.  Mine is the sort of "once in awhile" fun game.

Coaster_Man
Titan of the Abyss

Self Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

So these nightly builds would be in your game, but you said they would not be in ID (neco's).
Ok. Some are strange, but change is good thumbs up

Pirate is an octopus in disguise!
ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »

Anti-maphack
The map will definitely have an anti-maphack script, that I will spend most of my time developing it to be specific to Island Defense.  Neco, of course, will be free to use it too.  It will prevent users from giving themselves gold and revealing the entire map.
For this, you should take a look at D3 and their maphacks.
If you read the options and the whole shit they adding to every new version, you will see that they can disable "revealing whole map".

You could also search for keys like this Lmap or fmap like neco knows.

turbo
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »

Oh shit, you're actually implementing runes? Well, it looks like you figured out a way to balance it (a little at least). For Ogre though, I liked that you had a different way of upgrading his towers, even if I thought it was pretty lumber intensive and took a bit too long to do each upgrade. Will you consider keeping it as such for the new towers? Also, I always thought Ogre would make a good army builder (like sat/nat), so I support the call-to-arms idea for the ogre workers. Or maybe you can make it something a bit more permanent. Also, since you're reworking ogre entirely, please get rid of the Ogre Magi.

Quote from: Playerof
I am officialy an IDIOT!!!!! Tongue
Quote from: Playerof date=1289822009
twas hit straight in the eye by a cock
[23:52:51] Lazure : Thank you.
[23:52:59] Lazure : I love being a slut :O
Smygarn
Beta Tester
Titan Hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:01 AM »

Basically, you may have seen my thread mentioning I want to edit again.  Here is my actual plans for the new version.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with Island Defense before was the incentive to not do anything, and that a player can get by doing nothing.  You can build a lumber base, go afk, and rebuild the lumber base if you have to.  After that, all you have to do is build your base and you can probably win.  This works in just about all games, unless Titan is fed to a really high level.
There are plenty of ways to solve that. The two probable solutions I can think of is either granting the titan a better overlook on the builders, which would allow him to keep up a chase more effectively... or force the builders to expand to various points on the map to increase their lumber. One method to do this is greatly diminishing lumber income but removing food cost on workers.
Many flawed methods exist, feel free to pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Let's take a minute to look at a game like DotA.  Ever gone AFK for half an hour, and come back to win a game of DotA against other people at your skill level? Probably not.  I'm going to implement shit to make Island Defense more fast paced, more fun, more exciting, and most of all, more involved.
But then again, ID differs in that hiding is the purpose of a builder rather than boldly moving around. The luxury of staying afk for periods of time because there is a lack of action is understandable though. If you are going to increase the pace, keep the degree within a certain limit or you would risk going overboard with it.

Rune System
The first and most important change will be the Rune System.  Any builder from the Easy Tavern will be able to get a bottle from their research center.  They cost 2000 lumber, so it will set you back a bit for your lumber base, and you need to get the lumber in the first place so you can't rush it.  Then it's just a matter of wandering the map.  The only units that can carry bottles are the main builder units.  Runes spawn around the map.  The titan can destroy a rune by attacking it for a little EXP and a bit of gold.  Builders can use the bottle item to bottle the rune.
Lets assume there are runes on the map. Any builder from the easy tavern: Murloc, Troll, Makrura, Draenei and henceforth... Will all be given the option of acquiring a bottle flask from the Research Center at a cost of 2000 lumber. Including the cost of walls and income rate, this would be acquired somewhere 3-6 minutes into the game. Your income will probably default back to square 1, but you now have a bottle enabling you to wander the map and collect these runes.
Q1. Is a builder capable of pooling their bottle to any other builder?
Q2. How Many runes would be present on the map at any given time?
Q3. Will the runes be able to provide defensive, offensive, combat and resource benefits?
(Im assuming you will only be allowed to have 1 rune at a time in the bottle)

Bottled runes are one use items.  None of them are just for ha-has, they all have valid uses.  They encourage you to wander the map searching, instead of turtling in your base.
If you consider the odds for a weak *easy* builder for wandering the map, including running into titans, risking exposure and being killed... those runes would have to be worth the time looking for. Since they would eat up your attention from everywhere else, you'd be exposed looking for these things unless they spawn in certain locations, as you mentioned below.

Runes spawn randomly around the map, two per every two minutes.  A rune lasts for 45 seconds.  After 40 seconds, it will begin to flash in another color, before disappearing and the two minute timer begins again.
Interesting place-holders you have here Sickle. So the rune will begin to flash 5 seconds before it vanishes to warn the players, while at the same time giving them some confirmation the rune wont just vanish right as they try to grab it.
Im going to assume the 120 second timer is the respawn rate of these runes. It would be perfect if not for just 1 inconvenience:
45 seconds? Are you serious? The map is large, the respawn locations can be on the opposites end of the map and not only does a builder have to find this thing, *he also has to get there before 45 seconds have passed or its just waiting for the next rune to appear, that could appear anywhere on the map?

With these place-holders providing the example, you'd have to get the rune to spawn next to you. And even then, the rune should be about as much as a pleasant surprise. Hardly a convincing method to get players to roam the map is it? Make the rune last about 4-5 times as long. You have to account for what a builder player has to do to even get a shot at picking one up, including the competition if the gain is seriously worth considering the 2000 early expense for.

No specific details on what runes do are available yet.

Ogre
Ogre builder will be redone, he needs it.  He will get separate units for his catapults, and separate units for his towers.  I'm also going to want him to have something so he doesn't become Draenie with ogre models.
I'm toying around with different ideas.  I'd like him to have a pet dog unit so that he can sniff out the Titan, and use fog in an interesting way so that you can catch the scent of a Titanic Hero, and then try to follow it.  The dog needs the ogre near him to command him, or else he goes wild and becomes a critter.  You can get him back in control by finding him.  Dogs feed EXP and 5 gold.
The other cool thing about Ogre could be his workers.  I like the idea of his workers somehow contributing to his final army, kind of like the Call To Arms in melee for the human peasants.  The workers would become very low feeding units, but would still overwhelm a minion.
Rebuilding his concept from scratch would be the best idea, but I have little to suggest as where to start. At best, I would consider to encourage building the towers and then move them into position.
Despite being the fat turd the Ogre is, the upgrade damage was a good twist.

Anti-maphack
So you will be sharing your resources between one another, give and be given?

Nightly Builds
There will be nightly builds.  A nightly build will be released during the school year every Sunday night at the least, more often if I want.  The nightly builds will have general interesting concepts, ideas I am toying with, and maybe even bug fixes.  Example Nightly Builds:

* A new playstyle for a builder, for example I might try making radioactive towers act like ogre catapults and be movable, or I may try making faerie workers be able to det and do 10 damage, just things that would probably never make it to an official version but are still noteworthy.
    * Cool new item concepts.  For example, a piano for the builders, or an item for the titan to let him jump ten feet forward, or maybe I could make a Titan item that makes his attacks stun.  These are more things that would never make it into a version but are still interesting.
    * Integral parts of the game changing.  Make builders 2x2 and give them a blink with no cooldown and 1.5 second casting.  Make orc style builders really slow so they have to wall walk if they want to get anywhere, and give them a unit that builds slowly to make it easier to hit Esc in time for the noobs.  Make gold harvest twice as fast.
Sounds like you will be braving a new concept to a rather strong degree. The runes will be solid enough for a start, but you could always hint at the Nightly Build being in the works. Although, I shouldnt be the one to be saying "braving" exactly...

Pretty much, nightly builds force me to think outside of the paradigm.  I have to think of things I never would... this in itself can make my versions better.  Island Defense creates a paradigm.  People are taught to think in a certain way.  We don't think of new things, we try to base new content on older content.  Nightly builds help me break out of this horrible cycle while still giving cool stuff out thumbs up
Nightly builds is an addition that throws the builder into a different perspective at the game during "night period" right? If a mode I can see the pleasant approach. Forced, the public might not agree as much. The public is largely a lazy builder concentrated mass anyway. Any buff that nerfs builder affects this majority.

Thinking outside the regular cycle is always a respected idea, one everyone tries to do whenever building on a concept.

The first thing you do when you get in your hotel room is to put away your stuff, thats the first thing you do is put away your stuff;
I'll put some stuff here, i'll put some some stuff down here, here's another place for some stuff, I'll put some stuff over there, you put your stuff over there and i'll put my stuff over here. heres ano-
Hey! We got more places than we got stuff! We're gonna have to buy more stu
ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »

I would make it like in DotA that you can share the bottle when it's emty else (full bottle) you can't share it and after a time like 2mins if new runes spwan, your old rune gets lost.
Q3. Will the runes be able to provide defensive, offensive, combat and resource benefits?
Having three runes at one time would be too op, lol.
The bottle's purpose isn't to collect them and to w8 till you got 100 runes..
Run on the map around, collect 1 rune and use it else it's getting lost and you need a new one.

If you could stack them why would you run around anymore if you already have got 2 or 5?  Undecided

Playerof
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »

I think this is just the shot to keep id alive for a few more years!
GO for it
MuDDy_PaNDa
Titan of the Abyss

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »

You have my full support on these ideas.  thumbs up

The MuDDy_PaNDa is a new animal. He has been created by the breeding of a panda and a makrura together. Their breeding had created a strange animal covered in mud.
Smygarn
Beta Tester
Titan Hunter

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »

I would make it like in DotA that you can share the bottle when it's emty else (full bottle) you can't share it and after a time like 2mins if new runes spwan, your old rune gets lost.

2 minutes. For real? 2 minutes will likely pass by before you even get a shot at using it. Lets also bring in the fact that you have to search for this rune, who knows where and then you would have to use it within 2 minutes? What if its a rune that gives you an extra ability just for avoiding the Titan? 2 minutes and its gone, you'd just waste the thing. I say the duration of a bottled rune be permament until used. And a bottle in use cannot store another rune.

Having three runes at one time would be too op, lol.
The bottle's purpose isn't to collect them and to w8 till you got 100 runes..
Run on the map around, collect 1 rune and use it else it's getting lost and you need a new one.

If you could stack them why would you run around anymore if you already have got 2 or 5?  Undecided

Artful, did you really read my question? I was not asking whether you could store multiple runes. I put a note below the question that I had already assumed it would be that way, so why would you take my question for asking whether it was possible just before I said I was going to assume there's 1 rune at a time in a bottle?

I was asking how wide the field of benefits could wary for the runes. Whether they'd provide defensive benefits, offensive benefits, a certain ability (Combat) or just a resource benefit. Essentially I was asking if the variety of runes would be large enough to perceive as a higher level of items you needed to research in order to collect. How you mistook that for a question that had answered itself just below, I do not know.

Besides...

I dont know why you decide on facts like this if Sickle's the one who wants to implement a rune system. Since the game rules are on a different field compared to Dota, a different set of runes on different spawning conditions, different circumstances of benefits and different complementations are going to be required.
Sickle is quite poor in handing out place-holders, and as few as they are, can often be misplaced. Look up his Lupus builder if you have doubts, almost no place-holders whatsoever and the ones that he did have, were misplaced.

I am here to give honest opinions and help though, and not bitch and complain. Here's my idea of rune spawning place-holders:

Rune Bottle Production: Costs 500 Lumber, takes 90 seconds to research (500 Lumber to purchase)
Will enable bottles to be purchased from the RC, as many as preferred. Since no specification of limitation was noted, this assumes you can pool them around to begin with.
Tooltip: Researching Rune Bottle Production will enable the Research Centres to start producing special Rune Bottles, that can store the effects of any single rune found on the map. Picking up a rune when the bottle already contains one will replace and activate the old rune. However, if an empty bottle is present, the new rune simply goes into that one. Once Research is completed, bottles can be purchased from the RC.
Hint: Can be used with turtles to effectively store manuals of health and power as well.

Runes will spawn on preset locations on the map (16-32 different locations). Once a rune appears, it will remain in place for 5 minutes, before it reappears elsewhere unless picked up, which causes an additional rune to spawn at that precise moment, on any unused location with a minimal distance condition fulfilled.
No rune will spawn next to a builder, due to a minimal distance filtering. Otherwise, location is random. Runes also appear in a 3 minute interval if a rune is not picked up, but will reset the spawn trigger if picked up.
Note: A rune will spawn an additional rune when picked up. Picking up that additional rune will not generate a third rune. No more than 6 runes may be present on the map at any given time (excludes runes that have been picked up).

Runes can be separated into 3 categories statistically. These 3 fields are: "Combat", "Offensive/Defensive" and "Economical".

Combat Runes will provide the wielder with an ability that can be used once and can greatly vary from a free Panic, to a teleportation.
Defensive/Offensive Runes will generate various benefits that other builders can share in. Field of usage for defensive runes may suggest in an ongoing siege, and offensive runes when combating Titans in a group. Many runes are single charge, but some runes will provide a passive benefit that will last, such as a regeneration aura.
Economical runes will either provide a single charge boost to your economy, or provide a passive benefit. Single Charge boosts implies effects such as: granting workers maximum lumber swings for a set amount of swings before returning  back to normal. Passive benefits imply expanding the total yield workers can carry.

With various benefits, different categories of certain rune types, and varying levels of effects, Runes can either be great fun, or too little or much effect that would unbalance the game.

The first thing you do when you get in your hotel room is to put away your stuff, thats the first thing you do is put away your stuff;
I'll put some stuff here, i'll put some some stuff down here, here's another place for some stuff, I'll put some stuff over there, you put your stuff over there and i'll put my stuff over here. heres ano-
Hey! We got more places than we got stuff! We're gonna have to buy more stu
ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »

2 minutes. For real? 2 minutes will likely pass by before you even get a shot at using it. Lets also bring in the fact that you have to search for this rune, who knows where and then you would have to use it within 2 minutes? What if its a rune that gives you an extra ability just for avoiding the Titan? 2 minutes and its gone, you'd just waste the thing. I say the duration of a bottled rune be permament until used. And a bottle in use cannot store another rune.

But isn't exactly this the purpose of the runes? That you run around and use them and to fight the titan/defend your base.
I admit that 2min are probably really low but in my opinion, they shouldnt keep forever in the bottle.

edit: Or you can make it with the categories and three different times. That the avoiding spells like you said last longer and offensive spells/runes last less.

sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »

Nightly Build July 21, 2011
Well, it's here.  It's pretty shitty, too, so don't expect too much.  Has a basic rune system in place.  Pick Murloc, he's the test builder, and the only one who can buy the bottles for this test.  Press Esc to get 10000000 gold and 100000000 lumber.  It's 2.8.6b based, so ignore all that older shit.  Runes spawn, last for three minutes, then are destroyed.  Ten seconds later the cycle repeats.  For demonstration purposes, the rune's locations are pinged automatically.  There are also some debug messages I left in to perplex you guys  thumbs up

Current Runes
Current runes are a bit bland.  Maybe we can get something more exciting?  I still want them to stay at their basic complexity.

Green Rune: Wind Walk
Blue Rune: Mana Drain
Red Rune: Stun
Yellow Rune: Panic

Basic things I want right now:
    - An idea for a "purple" rune (I'm thinking a Staff of Teleportation effect)
    - Changes to general rune mechanics
    - Better numbers, my numbers are usually shitty balance

Crafting Runes
Pretty much, all the basic color runes are low level.  The builders need to be able to craft them up one tier.  I don't know how I want this to work, I'm thinking a secret vendor.

Costs 5 gold to get a rune upgraded.  Upgraded runes require a larger bottle to hold them, so you'll have to blow like 5k lumber on a better bottle, sorry, but it's for your own good.  Upgraded runes would be related to their lower tier cousins, but still not just upgraded numbers.  So the Green Rune (Wind Walk) wouldn't just be longer/faster, it would be something like an invisibility aura.  The Second Tier of the Red Rune (Stun) wouldn't just be a better stun, it might be something like a chain stun or a mini-leash that keeps a minion bound to a certain place.

I need suggestions on:
    - Ideas for second tier runes
    - Ideas for how they will be upgraded
    - Specific numbers

EDIT: And I almost forgot to mention, there are no victory conditions.  So you can't win, sorry.  And report bugs, as I'm sure you can find some if you try thumbs up

Critikill
Spearloc

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:32 PM »

I think you should put something to the effect of Brush, like in LoL, where you can go invisible when you walk in it, but who ever else has vision in there can see you, lasting until you walk out.

sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »

Due to WC3 limitations, there are only two forms of invisibility: invisible and the lack of it (visible).  Therefore going into the Brush would give you the ability to see any nearby invisible units, which wouldn't make sense.

thumbs down

ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »

Basic things I want right now:
    - An idea for a "purple" rune (I'm thinking a Staff of Teleportation effect)
    - Changes to general rune mechanics
    - Better numbers, my numbers are usually shitty balance
Purple = dagger effect, since there're already so many TPs and you can also buy one for 6 or 7 gold..
Or an AOE slow

By the way, can't play the map qq
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:05:33 PM by ArtFuL » Logged

sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

>By the way, can't play the map qq
Move it into your WC3 Maps Folder, then start from Custom Games.  It doesn't open in the World Editor for obvious reasons.

TheNoobRage
Worker

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »

Although I understand that this is just a start, these current runes:
Green Rune: Wind Walk
Blue Rune: Mana Drain
Red Rune: Stun
Yellow Rune: Panic
are bland, just for ha-has, and imo, not worth spending 2000 lumber for. I would not leave a base just to get a free panic escape. The cost and risk does not equal the rewards. Even if the runes actually gave a decent incentive for walking around, then you run into the problem of balancing an impossible concept that 10 builders could abuse. There's too much fine tuning involved with runes.
Smygarn perfectly sums up what I think would happen with the rune system.
With various benefits, different categories of certain rune types, and varying levels of effects, Runes can either be great fun, or too little or much effect that would unbalance the game.

Suggestion:
Instead, why don't you just put gold trees that randomly spawn every X seconds and last for X seconds. Harvestors could then be used to take in a limited amount of gold that the trees provide before either running out.
This, in my opinion, eliminates many problems if a builder dies early while also providing some ACTUAL incentive to run around. You could also make these trees spawn in open locations, forcing builders to risk feeding in exchange for 5-10 gold.
We all know that gold is the rarest resource in Island Defense so there's actually desire to run around the map.
sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »

Runes will be worth it with the second tier.  When you can upgrade your rune to something powerful enough to make it worth finding a rune, then the system is good.

Because the entire game is balanced around how much gold you can have, and there's no way in hell I'm upsetting the entire game for gold trees.

TheNoobRage
Worker

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »

Runes will be worth it with the second tier.  When you can upgrade your rune to something powerful enough to make it worth finding a rune, then the system is good.

Because the entire game is balanced around how much gold you can have, and there's no way in hell I'm upsetting the entire game for gold trees.
Very well. I'll wait and see what happens.
Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »

• Integral parts of the game changing.  Make builders 2x2 and give them a blink with no cooldown and 1.5 second casting.  Make orc style builders really slow so they have to wall walk if they want to get anywhere, and give them a unit that builds slowly to make it easier to hit Esc in time for the noobs.  Make gold harvest twice as fast.
Wut.
PoNy
Beta Tester
Titanious Minion

Liked ponies before they were cool

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »

I think the way runes spawn will need a change.

Suggestions:

10 spawn nodes. two spawn randomly each time at 2 random nodes.

Runes will not spawn if even a single rune is still on the map and not bottled.

Runes last for 100 seconds instead of only 45 inside the bottle.

Keep runes buff based and not debuff.

Neco
Self Proclaimed AFK-King
Map Editor
Titan of the Abyss

Tired of your shit

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 02:45:40 AM »

For those wondering how to play the map:
Rename it to "Island Defense Herpderp" or similar (any reasonably small map name should do it).

EDIT:
Hmm, SimError is annoying... damn Blizzard for not having a native function Sad.
I usually end up attacking the rune instead of "using" on it. Could you perhaps use a trigger to detect the attempted attack, and then check if the unit is a Builder and has a bottle then do it automagically anyway? I think it'd be more user friendly that way (you could still keep the bottle + simerror thing).
The selection size on the runes look ugly (since heck, they are just units made to look like items after all).
Oh and are you planning on keeping the creep notification on the minimap?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:00:41 AM by Novynn » Logged
ArtFuL
Beta Tester
Titan of the Abyss

Maphack Hunter

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:05 AM »

For those wondering how to play the map:
Rename it to "Island Defense Herpderp" or similar (any reasonably small map name should do it).
Thanks, that helped. And by the way, of course I know where to move it, sickle >.<

Edit: Rune size is really sucky. Also towers attack them :0 and maybe choose another bottle icon/item model?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:29:19 AM by ArtFuL » Logged

sickle
Titanious Minion

tabula rasa

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »

>Wut.
Runes are a concept that are going to be in my version, not just a nightly build.

>10 spawn nodes. two spawn randomly each time at 2 random nodes.
That's how it is, but there are 11 nodes.

>Runes will not spawn if even a single rune is still on the map and not bottled.
Then they stick around forever.  They are destroyed after 3 minutes automatically.

>Runes last for 100 seconds instead of only 45 inside the bottle.
They last forever in a bottle, because there is no oxidizing.

>Keep runes buff based and not debuff.
Interesting concept, perhaps.

>Rename it to "Island Defense Herpderp" or similar (any reasonably small map name should do it).
Or get a batch script to rename long maps for you  thumbs up
I'll make the name smaller next time.

>Hmm, SimError is annoying... damn Blizzard for not having a native function Sad.
I'll probably end up ditching it... I was too lazy to open firefox so I recoded the entire system from looking on the screen of another computer.  Laziness ftw.

>I usually end up attacking the rune instead of "using" on it. Could you perhaps use a trigger to detect the attempted attack, and then check if the unit is a Builder and has a bottle then do it automagically anyway? I think it'd be more user friendly that way (you could still keep the bottle + simerror thing).
I'm just going to make the rune for Neutral Passive so you don't attack it at all.

>The selection size on the runes look ugly (since heck, they are just units made to look like items after all).
Definitely going to change that

>Oh and are you planning on keeping the creep notification on the minimap?
Nope, that was for beta.

>Edit: Rune size is really sucky.
?

>Also towers attack them :0
Part of them being Neutral Hostile, read above answers.

>and maybe choose another bottle icon/item model?
No.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: