Island Defense
July 23, 2019, 02:55:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: not so new version:  3.0.6G4, 3.0.8d

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chaoticus, the Legendary Titan of Chaos [Updated 12/2/11]  (Read 12280 times)
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »

Reworked a lot of clunky mechanics that weren't necessary. Added, removed, and changed abilities. Test map added.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:45:17 AM by Frankjg » Logged

Smygarn
Beta Tester
Titan Hunter

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 04:26:40 AM »

Although you cant predict the balance of ID when making a template, you did a fair job at setting up the environment. a good +1 for the Fairy at the corner.

You should know a little more now since you have tried making your first in-game Titan. Its a great effort you put through, so I'll start by stating things you could do better and things you did great. You can learn a lot by practicing in-game concepts.
Setting up practice spot lets you experience place holding numbers, how they affect the game and for a first time they worked pretty well, but I am not too sure about the Tremble, it seems a little too convenient now that I've seen it in-game. Make put a level requirement on it would solve it, i'll adress this below.
You made some good explaining in the descriptions, but I feel there was a little too much of it taking up too much room.

Things you could do better:
Adress:
- Improve the text that addresses what the ability does in the learn window, probably in a new block underneath the explanatory one. I read most of the descriptions but they rarely described what the ability did until you picked it. Not explaining any numbers, usage or even identity of the ability. You had to pick the ability to learn it. Well, thats just me speaking.
Ultimate:
- I want to point out that it is an interesting life steal ultimate you put on your Titan. 100% return sounds like its a lot but you have to factor in that only the final damage will count for it. The more damage you deal, the more life you get. This ultimate encourages strictly Trident or damage builds. Works for me... only if it would work in the first place.
Make sure your abilities work. =)
Nuke:
- I thought you wanted to make it be able to bounce on the same builder. Guess you gave up on that. Either way, the ability had a really short casting range. Forget the amount of bounces you can get, you have to be able to reach the fleeing target, that with this casting range is already in melee distance.
Tremble:
- Definitly available a little too early, I suggest a level requirement on it. Say, level 4 would work.

000===============================000

Your efforts shine in the ingame display and there is much room for you to get better, so your concept does shine through as a suggestion. The only problem I have is that seeing it ingame did not make me realize what would be so different from the other Standard Titans, with the exception of the Nuke.

The first thing you do when you get in your hotel room is to put away your stuff, thats the first thing you do is put away your stuff;
I'll put some stuff here, i'll put some some stuff down here, here's another place for some stuff, I'll put some stuff over there, you put your stuff over there and i'll put my stuff over here. heres ano-
Hey! We got more places than we got stuff! We're gonna have to buy more stu
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Smiley

I figured that since it was just a test map that the explanations were well covered in the post. But I will certainly fix that if you want it that way.

Wow, I didn't even realize that it had stopped working. I had it working like a charm without any effort. I guess I changed something without realizing it, haha.

I really did like the idea of it bouncing onto the same builder more than once, but I figured that there really are too many situations where that would be just plain too powerful. Like 50 damage bouncing between two builders in walls at the mound until they're both dead. Ouch.

I thought that this titan would work better if he were siege oriented, so I developed a nuke that would help with a siege. But of course, the range can be upped some, and a level requirement added.

Tremble is a sort of utility ability I added because of his lack of a slow poison. I put a requirement on it because of how strong it could be early in the game.

Edit: I think that I should mention that the tremble ability does not have projectile homing, and the actual projectile is pretty slow. I made it that way so that a smart builder that is paying attention would be able to move out of the way. Obviously dummy builders aren't going to do that.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the quick response. I'll get to improving my suggestion right away.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:00:22 AM by Frankjg » Logged

Smygarn
Beta Tester
Titan Hunter

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 01:00:22 AM »

You can write descriptions in a ton of ways, but the way I figure is the easiest and probably best way to start with, is to use a layout like the one I'll show you. For convenience, I will be using one of your tool tips and show how it could look better:

First off, a tooltip should be fast and easy to read. You dont want the player to have to spend too long reading the description to understand what the ability does. What you want to do is to let him/her sort out what he wants to see, which is namely what the ability does. As such, a layout like this works very well:

Name*
Description
Space*
Advantages (Colored in Green)
Space*
Disadvantages (If there are any, colored in red.

I guess it might just be easier to show you. =)

This is how a tooltip should look by preference. Quick and easy to read, and you can see what you want to read right away. What the ability does.
Im sure you can agree that having to read through the entire description to understand what the ability does before you even pick it can be really annoying. Especially when details are nowhere to be seen.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:02:04 AM by Smygarn » Logged

The first thing you do when you get in your hotel room is to put away your stuff, thats the first thing you do is put away your stuff;
I'll put some stuff here, i'll put some some stuff down here, here's another place for some stuff, I'll put some stuff over there, you put your stuff over there and i'll put my stuff over here. heres ano-
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »

Probably going to replace tremble. It's not working the way I wanted it to while testing and I think it could be better suited with something else. Also considering reworking the ultimate, or even replacing it.

Edit: Also, improved the tooltips! ^.^
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:43:06 PM by Frankjg » Logged

Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »

Alright, here's the updated version. I also updated everything in the original post.

I'm still working on an ultimate, the ones I've come up with were a lot like my original ultimate in that they would be impossible to balance. I'll be sure to keep you posted when I come up with one, and I'm open to suggestions.

The updated test map is there as well.

Edit: I've realized that the heal is a little strong. I'll scale it down some for the next test I upload, which will include an ultimate.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:43:32 AM by Frankjg » Logged

Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »

Added abilities, removed others. Updated the test map.

I think I may actually be able to call this finished, aside from any balance issues I have not caught. Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

MuDDy_PaNDa
Titan of the Abyss

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »

For the ulti, one demo would completely fuck him over with his spells, unless there is no extra % dmg from magical, ofc.

The MuDDy_PaNDa is a new animal. He has been created by the breeding of a panda and a makrura together. Their breeding had created a strange animal covered in mud.
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »

For the ulti, one demo would completely fuck him over with his spells, unless there is no extra % dmg from magical, ofc.
I would like to mention that his ultimate is based off of phase shift, not banish. You're not in an etheral state, you're just gone. I think harmful area spells still may work, but it's not going to multiply the damage at all.

I guess using the banish icon would easily lead to that conclusion though, huh? lol

MuDDy_PaNDa
Titan of the Abyss

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 06:52:52 AM »

I would like to mention that his ultimate is based off of phase shift, not banish. You're not in an etheral state, you're just gone. I think harmful area spells still may work, but it's not going to multiply the damage at all.

I guess using the banish icon would easily lead to that conclusion though, huh? lol
yep.

The MuDDy_PaNDa is a new animal. He has been created by the breeding of a panda and a makrura together. Their breeding had created a strange animal covered in mud.
PoNy
Beta Tester
Titanious Minion

Liked ponies before they were cool

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »

Chaoticus, the Legendary Titan of Chaos

Background: Chaoticus was born from the very core of the earth. The constant waging of war and the endless violence and suffering between and among the various races collected within it. With the earth as his womb, and the chaos as his seed, he came to be.

Chaoticus plans to raze the entire earth of all life - for he, too, suffers with it's inhabitants. Terrorizing all in his path, none seem to be able to stop this juggernaut born of pure chaos.

Stats:

Health: 1000
Hp Regen: 6
Mana: 150
Mana regen: 3
Movement: 390
Armor: 1
Damage: 60
Attack speed: 1.5
Range: 105

Strength: 44 (+11)
Intellect: 25 (+5)
Agility:    45 (+1.5)

What does this mean?
These stats give chaoticus above average damage. They also give him a slight increase to health. The trade off, of course, is that he is very mana intensive until very late game, making him choose which abilities to use wisely, or end up making a lot of trips back to the mound for mana.

Abilities:

Burning Rage

- Innate
- Passive / orb

The intense rage of centuries burns the titan constantly, causing him horrible physical anguish. This heat causes everything he touches to burn intensely, harming it and causing it to be far too hot to the touch.

An orb effect that causes 2 damage every second as well as disabling the ability to repair the unit if it is a structure. Lasts for 3 seconds.
Don't disable ability to repair on structures, just not good. I like how your trying to be creative tho

Misery Loves Company

-Nuke
-Unit Targeted

People often seek to spread their misfortune among all that are around them. When one is miserable, they can't stand to see others happy. But, it is misery itself that seeks to spread. Chaoticus can control concentrated misery, and thus uses it to damage his enemies.

Deals X damage to the primary target, bouncing to targets nearby.
Rank 1: Deals 125 damage, bounces 10 times.
Rank 2: Deals 135 damage, bounces 12 times.
Rank 3: Deals 150 damage, bounces 15 times.

-All ranks: 12 Second Cooldown. Bounces within a range of 900, but the initial cast has a range of 300.
Is this basic nuke? seems like it

Sympathy for the Devil

-Heal
-Summon

The tormented souls of the past find pity even for this being of unimaginable evil. When called upon, they will restore some of the life to the titan or his minions.

Summons spirits that heal the titan or his minions. These spirits will heal only one target at a time, and will heal a certain amount every four seconds. The amount healed and the amount of spirits summoned increases with each level.
These spirits fly and are invisible

Rank 1: One spirit summoned, 250 health healed every 6.5 seconds
Rank 2: Two spirits summoned, 300 health healed every 6.5 seconds
Rank 3: Three spirits summoned, 350 health healed every 6.5 seconds
Rank 4: Four spirits summoned, 400 health healed every 6.5 seconds
Can they be controlled?

Incite Fear

-Extra
-Requires level 5
-Activated, effects an area around the caster

Chaoticus has viewed every act of violence and everything that has ever caused suffering in another living thing. He constantly views these images over and over within seconds. The shrill cry of Chaoticus from this suffering is enough to terrify anything and everything in his wake.

Chaoticus screams in agony, reducing the attack damage of all nearby units and structures by 20% for 15 seconds. Costs 150 mana and has a 30 second cooldown. This debuff may NOT be removed via detonate.
This should be able to be removed by det, if they have the time to do it they deserve it

Tremble

-Extra
-Requires Level 4
-Unit Targeted; nova effect

Chaoticus is able to control and manipulate the fields of energy around all living things. He bears the weight of the world down upon his victims shoulders, causing them to be unbalanced and to have difficulty in moving.

This is an ability similar to frost nova. It deals no damage, but reduces the movement speed of the target and all targets in an area of 250 by 50% for 8 seconds. It has a 700 cast range and costs 125 mana. Requires that Chaoticus reaches level 4.
Might be better as an innate since he has no starting slow orb

Phase Shift

- Ultimate
- Requires Level 12
- Activated

Chaoticus is able to break away from the realm in which the builders inhabit. Within his own realm, he is protected from any and all danger.

Removes Chaoticus from the current realm, protecting him from damage. Lasts for 30 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown.
What does it actually do?

Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to review this suggestion. I hope this makes things a bit more clear.

• Disabling repairs on structures instead of a slow orb is a pretty fair trade off if you ask me. I understand that it can be pretty detrimental to a base, but any early kills would be pure luck without a slow. That's why his tremble ability has a required level of four. I'm interested to know why you think this isn't a good idea, though. Could you be more specific?
  • It actually is a bit of a twist on the basic nuke. It has much lower range, but it is able to bounce a large number of times and it also has an increased bounce range to compensate for the low initial range.
  • Yes, they can be controlled. They move somewhat fast, but they have very minimum hp.
  • If removing it by detonate would make it a more balanced ability, I am fine with that.
  • The level requirement is there because I want chaoticus to be based on seiging, and not so much on hunting. It makes more sense to me that he would be limited with hunting since his seiging ability is increased. I'm even beginning to think that level 4 is a bit too soon.
  • The ultimate actually functions much like the ladder version of phase shift. I thought that It would be a good addition because of the main's lack of a windwalk. He can escape from certain tight situations and maybe even recover some lost hp. The danger would be using it with too low of health and taking a shockwave from that clever morphling or demo.

If you get the chance, I suggest you try out the test map to get a better understanding of how the titan actually would work in game. It won't be totally accurate, but at least you can see his spells in action.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:10:53 AM by Frankjg » Logged

Smygarn
Beta Tester
Titan Hunter

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

Frankjg. If you want, shall we take some time off from the forum and work out a proper face lift to this Titan?
you can find me with Skype or Msn, just check my profile. Add a message so i'll know its you.

VAMPSI
Warned
Titan Hunter

I swear to drunk I'm not God

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 02:39:07 PM »

saw the testmap and i have a few questions

-if you use the teleport, than you ult will you teleport in the ult form?
-is the minion meant to have a low attack?
-the summons from the heal dont have autocast on the heal..can it be fixed?
-does the heal from mini's ult stack with healing ward?

Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

saw the testmap and i have a few questions

-if you use the teleport, than you ult will you teleport in the ult form?
-is the minion meant to have a low attack?
-the summons from the heal dont have autocast on the heal..can it be fixed?
-does the heal from mini's ult stack with healing ward?
I'm honestly not too sure about the teleport.
Yes, the minion is meant to have a low attack.
They do actually have autocast, you just have to right click it.
It stacks with wards the same way they stack in the game now.

PoNy
Beta Tester
Titanious Minion

Liked ponies before they were cool

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »

I think he means have them on auto cast on summon so players don't have to manually auto cast on every heal.

VAMPSI
Warned
Titan Hunter

I swear to drunk I'm not God

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »

I think he means have them on auto cast on summon so players don't have to manually auto cast on every heal.
qft

Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »

That was actually the intended function of it, but it can be changed if it's a big deal.

Cookies.
Worker

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »

Amazing job on the demo map.
I think the titan has a good concept, but I have a couple of questions:
Why does the minion have such a small damage? Only 111 at level 16, which most minions have by level 4ish.
I think the nuke bounces way to many times, I was able to kill about 15 workers with one nuke.
The main doesn't really have a windwalk, which does not seem to fit this titan. Both of the current titans without a windwalk at least have a substitute for it, this seems not really to fit the concept.
Frankjg
Titanious Minion

Revenant_ at US East

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »

I didn't give him a windwalk because I am trying to build him into a seige based titan. I feel that a windwalk would only encourage camping and such. The one use a windwalk would serve for seiging would be recovering health, which is what the ultimate is intended to compensate for.

The minons have low damage because they are to serve as a tank for the titan. Their increased armor allows them to take quite the punishment.

The nuke is supposed to work that way. It has a very low range, but once you get it off it can be deadly. It's not intended to catch builders after two strikes like you so often do as other titans. The large amount of bounces is also to serve as a semi-counter to worker blocks.

Frankjg. If you want, shall we take some time off from the forum and work out a proper face lift to this Titan?
you can find me with Skype or Msn, just check my profile. Add a message so i'll know its you.
I'd be happy to do that, but I dont have a skype or msn account.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: